About This Database
An Engaging Reference Site Kids and Educators Will Love
Erasing the line between homework support and fun exploration, the new and improved World Almanac® for Kids Online goes beyond the contents of The World Almanac® for Kids print edition, adding exclusive online-only content as well as content from award-winning Chelsea House and Facts On File sets and series. A natural complement to the elementary and middle school curriculum, each subject area provides resources for homework, reports, and projects. Kids can explore age-appropriate topics while developing online research skills with a trusted content source.
- American History: All-new overviews of specific time periods backed up by detailed articles, as well as maps and photographs, giving a well-rounded view of the country's key moments and figures.
- Animals: Articles and videos on more than 100 mammals, birds, aquatic species, insects, arachnids, reptiles, and amphibians. Includes information on anatomy, physiology, feeding, hunting, endangered species status, and family tree charts, with a variety of fun facts about these interesting creatures.
- Career Ideas: More than 175 careers and jobs in 12 key categories. Includes career overviews, resources to explore potential careers, and profiles of real-life professionals, plus video features and fun facts.
- Countries of the World: More than 190 nations with details on population, industries, major cities, geography, and national history—plus video features, fun facts, maps, flags, and images.
- Famous People: Divided into 10 professional categories, this high-interest section highlights major personalities from history, pop culture, current events, and more. Fun Facts include this year's Kids' Choice Award Winners as well as engaging videos.
- The 50 States: Details and fun facts on all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia, including population, climate, industries, local history, landmarks, and famous personalities. Plus, downloadable images for reports.
- Coming Soon! Holidays and Celebrations
- Our Planet Earth: More than 100 all-new articles explaining biomes, earthquakes, volcanoes, weather, climate, global warming, and much more. Detailed illustrations and photographs help explain the science.
- Reader's Corner: Biographies of popular authors and profiles of their most popular books--plus lists of recommended books in particular genres, best-sellers, ALA recommendations, and prestigious award winners. The perfect section for a budding bookworm.
- Space & Astronomy: More than 200 all-new articles featuring details about the planets, dwarf planets, and other celestial bodies that make up our solar system, plus sections on the history of space exploration and the tools we use to study space, as well as fun facts about the moon, sun, stars, and much more. Detailed illustrations and photographs help kids understand what we can't easily see from Earth.
- Coming Soon! Sports
- U.S. Presidents: Biographical information on all 44 presidents, from George Washington to Barack Obama. Fun facts include information on the first ladies, as well as trivia about the presidency.
- World History: All-new overviews of specific time periods linking to descriptions of milestone events in world history.
- Acclaimed content from The World Almanac® for Kids, the best-selling reference book for kids, as well as exclusive online-only content and content from award-winning Chelsea House and Facts On File sets and series
- Excellent resources for student reports and research, with extensive, up-to-date articles, plus new material on Earth science, space and astronomy, and American history
- Engaging, fun entries on kid-friendly subjects, plus special daily features
- Homework Help tools, including how to write better papers, prepare for tests, use a dictionary and thesaurus, and read maps and timelines; plus time-tested curricular handouts and teacher support.
- Fun facts
- Images and iPad-friendly videos
- Maps and flags
- Interactive games and quizzes
- Content supporting Common Core, state, and national standards
- Google Translate for every article, with 53 languages to choose from
- Search Assist technology and kid-friendly search results
- Persistent record links
- Dynamic citations in MLA and Chicago Manual of Style formats.