About This Database
The Trusted Source for Kid-Friendly Research on a Range of Subjects
Erasing the line between homework support and fun exploration, the new and improved World Almanac® for Kids Online includes exclusive online-only material as well as content from award-winning Chelsea House and Facts On File sets and series. Each subject area provides resources for elementary- and middle school-level homework, reports, and projects, and kids can explore age-appropriate topics while developing online research skills with a trusted content source.
- American History: All-new overviews of specific time periods backed up by detailed articles, as well as maps and photographs, giving a well-rounded view of the country's key moments and figures.
- Ancient Civilizations: Articles, images, maps, and Fun Facts provide accessible introductions to Ancient Mesopotamia, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, and other ancient cultures, including the history, major leaders, lifestyle, religion, and legacy of each civilization.
- Animals: Articles and videos on more than 100 mammals, birds, aquatic species, insects, arachnids, reptiles, and amphibians. Includes information on anatomy, physiology, feeding, hunting, endangered species status, and family tree charts, with a variety of fun facts about these interesting creatures.
- Career Ideas: More than 175 careers and jobs in 12 key categories. Includes career overviews, resources to explore potential careers, and profiles of real-life professionals, plus video features and fun facts.
- Countries of the World: More than 190 nations with details on population, industries, major cities, geography, and national history—plus video features, fun facts, maps, flags, and images.
- Famous People: A high-interest section divided into 10 professional categories, highlighting major personalities from history, pop culture, current events, and more. Fun facts include this year's Kids' Choice Award Winners as well as engaging videos.
- The 50 States: Details and fun facts on all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia, including population, climate, industries, local history, landmarks, and famous personalities. Plus, downloadable images for reports.
- Holidays and Celebrations:
Detailed information on the backgrounds, customs, and traditions of the world's holidays and celebrations, from religious observances to independence days, organized by region. Includes holiday-related Fun Facts articles and glossaries.
- The Human Body:
Clearly labeled diagrams, photographs, and accessible text providing an essential introduction to the human body. Includes information about the body systems and the five senses, plus Fun Facts articles.
- Our Planet Earth: More than 100 articles explaining biomes, earthquakes, volcanoes, weather, climate, global warming, and much more. Detailed illustrations and photographs help explain the science.
- Plants: Easy-to-understand information, along with colorful images, on all things botanical in this brand-new section. Features Fun Facts articles on all manner of plants.
- Reader's Corner: Biographies of popular authors and profiles of their most popular books—plus lists of recommended books in particular genres, best-sellers, ALA recommendations, and prestigious award winners. The perfect section for a budding bookworm.
- Space & Astronomy: More than 200 articles featuring details about the planets, dwarf planets, and other celestial bodies that make up our solar system, plus sections on the history of space exploration and the tools we use to study space, as well as fun facts about the moon, sun, stars, and much more. Detailed illustrations and photographs help kids understand what we can't easily see from Earth.
Baseball, basketball, football, hockey, and soccer—a new section featuring sports trivia and historical stats, Fun Facts articles, images, and videos.
- U.S. Presidents: Biographical information on all 44 presidents, from George Washington to Barack Obama. Fun facts include information on the first ladies, as well as trivia about the presidency.
- World History: Overviews of specific time periods linking to descriptions of milestone events in world history.
- Acclaimed reference content, including online-only material and content from Infobase Learning titles
- Excellent resources for student reports and research, with extensive, up-to-date articles; images and iPad/mobile-friendly videos; daily features; and interactive games and quizzes
- Engaging, fun entries on kid-friendly subjects, plus special daily features
- Homework Help tools, including how to write better papers, prepare for tests, use a dictionary and thesaurus, and read maps and timelines; plus time-tested curricular handouts and teacher support.
- Fun Facts
- Images and iPad/mobile-friendly videos
- Maps and flags
- Interactive games and quizzes
- Content supporting Common Core, state, and national standards
- Google Translate for every article, with 80 languages to choose from
- Search Assist technology and kid-friendly search results
- Persistent record links
- Dynamic citations in MLA and CMS formats.