About This Database
The Trusted Source for Kid-Friendly Research on a Range of Subjects
Erasing the line between homework support and fun exploration, The World Almanac® for Kids Online includes exclusive online-only material as well as content from award-winning Chelsea House and Facts On File sets and series. Each subject area provides resources for elementary- and middle school-level homework, reports, and projects, and kids can explore age-appropriate topics while developing online research skills with a trusted content source.
The World Almanac® for Kids Online has been redesigned with a new header that makes our wide variety of great content even easier than ever to access. The new Teacher Support drop-down menu at the top of the home page provides easy access to a treasure trove of brand-new content that will help educators get the most out of using the database in class, including comprehensive lesson plans-specially created by our editors-for the Ancient Civilizations, Animals, Our Planet Earth, Space & Astronomy, Countries of the World, The 50 States, Canadian Provinces, and U.S. Presidents modules. Teachers will also find science diagrams, maps, and graphic organizers that help with any lesson in the Teacher Support drop-down menu. The top bar also now features a link to accessible Homework Help articles for students, and the Resources drop-down menu puts videos, interactives, science projects, Fun Facts articles, maps, and flags across all topics right at your fingertips.
In addition, a wide range of new interactives on selected topics have been added, making The World Almanac® for Kids Online an even more engaging educational tool than ever before. These include more than 20 multiple-choice "Test Your Knowledge" quizzes, a fun way for students to practice what they've learned in six core areas: American History, U.S. Government, Our Planet Earth, Human Body, Plants, and Ancient Civilizations. Students can take these quizzes again and again to reinforce the subject matter and identify any areas that need more practice. Also, to reinforce the content and vocabulary taught in class, students can use the more than 40 new interactive worksheets that were specially created to support the STEM content in this database. Topics include Animals, Human Body, Our Planet Earth, Plants, and Space & Astronomy. Students can use the drag-and-drop functionality to label diagrams, match words, and fill in the blanks.
- Acclaimed reference content, including online-only material and content from Infobase titles
- Engaging, fun entries on kid-friendly subjects, plus special daily features
- Excellent resources for student reports and research, including:
- Extensive, up-to-date articles
- Tablet/mobile-friendly videos to support the content in areas such as Our Planet Earth, Energy Today, U.S. Government, Homework Help, and Human Body
- Interactives-including interactive worksheets, "Test Your Knowledge" quizzes, crossword puzzles, word searches, and more-on topics including animals, energy, the human body, Earth science, plants, and space and astronomy
- Science projects in fields such as Earth science, the environment, life science, and physical science, plus projects for students with disabilities
- Fun Facts articles, biographies, maps, flags, and more
- Teacher Support, with lesson plans, providing instructional support for the Ancient Civilizations, Animals, Our Planet Earth, Space & Astronomy, Countries of the World, The 50 States, Canadian Provinces, and U.S. Presidents modules. Teachers will also find science diagrams, maps, and graphic organizers that help with any lesson. Each lesson includes:
- Learning objectives, including an Essential Question teachers can use to introduce lessons
- Important vocabulary-great for previewing terms to enhance comprehension of new topics
- Ideas and themes summarizing the lesson for the teacher
- Printable handouts, including links to lesson support materials, homework, or in-class work
- Critical-thinking and assessment activities, including additional in-class and follow-up assignments as well as assessment
- Homework Help, including tools on how to write better papers, prepare for tests, use a dictionary and thesaurus, read maps and timelines, videos, study tips, and more
- American History: Overviews of specific time periods backed up by detailed articles, as well as maps and photographs, Fun Facts articles, interactive quizzes, and bullet biographies, giving a well-rounded view of the country's key moments and figures.
- Ancient Civilizations: Articles, images, maps, bullet biographies, interactive quizzes, and Fun Facts articles providing accessible introductions to Ancient Mesopotamia, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, and other ancient cultures, including the history, major leaders, lifestyle, religion, and legacy of each civilization.
- Animal Behavior: Articles on different aspects of animal behavior, including animal communication, courtship, defenses, hunting and feeding, life in groups, and migration, plus Fun Facts articles, interactive word puzzles, and bullet biographies.
- Animals: Articles, interactives, and videos on more than 100 mammals, birds, aquatic species, insects, arachnids, reptiles, and amphibians. Includes information on anatomy, physiology, feeding, hunting, endangered species status, and family tree charts, with a variety of Fun Facts articles about these interesting creatures.
- Canadian Provinces: Details on the history, culture, geography, and economy of each province or territory. Also includes places of interest, famous people, Fun Facts articles, elevation and outline maps, flags, and coats of arms.
- Career Ideas: More than 175 careers and jobs in 12 key categories. Includes career overviews, resources to explore potential careers, and profiles of real-life professionals, plus video features and Fun Facts articles.
- Character Matters: Timely, straightforward articles and videos on being fair and honest, dealing with bullying, handling peer pressure, teamwork and respect, managing responsibilities, dealing with frustration and anger, and managing conflict resolution. Includes Fun Facts articles and interactive word puzzles.
- Countries of the World: More than 190 nations with details on population, industries, major cities, geography, and national history-plus video features, Fun Facts articles, maps, flags, and images.
- Energy Today: Informative articles covering different types of energy, the science behind them, and their environmental impact. Includes information on biofuels, solar power, nuclear power, wind power, water power, coal, oil and natural gas, geothermal energy, and hydrogen fuel. Plus, Fun Facts articles, videos, and interactive word puzzles.
- Famous People: A high-interest section divided into nine professional categories, highlighting major personalities from history, pop culture, current events, and more. Includes more than 700 book-length biographies, each the equivalent of 100+ pages-perfect for book report writers. Also features engaging videos and Fun Facts articles, including this year's Kids' Choice Award Winners.
- The 50 States: Details and Fun Facts articles on all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia, including population, climate, industries, local history, landmarks, and famous personalities. Plus, downloadable images for reports.
- Healthy Eating: Informative videos and important facts about how and what we should eat, including basic nutrition, weight management, nutrition for sports and exercise, eating disorders, and food safety and disease prevention, plus interactive word puzzles and food-related Fun Facts articles.
- Holidays and Celebrations: Detailed information on the backgrounds, customs, and traditions of the world's holidays and celebrations, from religious observances to independence days, organized by region. Includes holiday-related Fun Facts articles and glossaries.
- The Human Body: Clearly labeled diagrams, photographs, and accessible text providing an essential introduction to the human body. Includes information about the body systems and the five senses, plus Fun Facts articles, videos, interactives, and bullet biographies of famous people in medicine.
- Our Planet Earth: More than 100 articles explaining biomes, earthquakes, volcanoes, weather, climate, global warming, and much more. Detailed illustrations, photographs, Fun Facts articles, videos, interactives, and bullet biographies help explain the science.
- Plants: Easy-to-understand information, along with colorful images, on all things botanical in this section. Features interactives, Fun Facts articles on all manner of plants, and bullet biographies of famous researchers in botany.
- Reader's Corner: Biographies of popular authors and profiles of their most popular books-plus Fun Facts and lists of recommended books in particular genres, best-sellers, ALA recommendations, and prestigious award winners. The perfect section for a budding bookworm.
- Space & Astronomy: More than 200 articles featuring details about the planets, dwarf planets, and other celestial bodies that make up our solar system, plus sections on the history of space exploration and the tools we use to study space, as well as videos, interactives, bullet biographies, and Fun Facts articles about the moon, sun, stars, and much more. Detailed illustrations and photographs help kids understand what we can't easily see from Earth.
- Sports: Baseball, basketball, football, hockey, and soccer-a section featuring sports trivia and historical stats, Fun Facts articles, images, and videos.
- U.S. Government: Informative articles, images, videos, interactive quizzes, bullet biographies, and Fun Facts articles about the three branches of government, the Constitution, political parties, and citizenship and civic responsibilities.
- U.S. Presidents: Biographical information on all 44 presidents, from George Washington to Barack Obama. Fun Facts articles include information on the first ladies, as well as trivia about the presidency; users can also take an interactive quiz on the presidents.
- World History: Overviews of specific time periods linking to descriptions of milestone events in world history. Includes Fun Facts articles and videos.
- Writer's Corner: Clear, concise entries, many with images and diagrams, explaining the often confusing rules of grammar, punctuation, and writing. Fun Facts articles offer interesting tidbits of information about the English language.
- Fun Facts articles
- Images and tablet/mobile-friendly videos
- Bullet biographies of key people
- Maps and flags
- Interactives, including quizzes, interactive worksheets, games, and more
- Content supporting Common Core, state, and national standards
- Read Aloud tool
- Google Translate for 100+ languages
- Search Assist technology and kid-friendly search results
- Persistent record links
- Dynamic citations in MLA and Chicago formats.