About This Database
World News Digest Provides Context and Background to Today's News
Presenting more than seven decades of authoritative news summaries and background articles, World News Digest has been completely redesigned and upgraded with a wealth of new material and a new, dynamic interface that makes it easier than ever to explore the events that shape our world.
"In the News" features concise, clearly written news summaries that provide indispensable context and perspective on important issues and events happening right now. "Featured Stories" provides analysis of contemporary affairs, and "Hot Topics" identifies the top issues that are most shaping the world today. The new "Landmark Events" highlights key events per decade from the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941 to the unrest in the Middle East today. Also, users can now go "Forward in Time" or "Back in Time" to follow a chronological chain of coverage on numerous events, people, countries, and topics.
For more than 75 years, World News Digest has been a go-to resource for context and background on key issues and events in the news. Hundreds of institutions-including CNN, ABC News, the CBC, the parliaments of Canada and Australia, the U.S. State Department, the International Monetary Fund, and the United Nations-rely on World News Digest for a broader view of the issues that matter today.
- Topic-based research support: World News Digest promotes understanding of a topic by combining the latest news with key context and background. It has been the source for authoritative news summaries and background articles since 1940.
- Exclusive, extensive coverage: World News Digest is packed with more than 300,000 original articles from 1940 to today. These include overviews of historic events, country profiles, historical documents, biographies and profiles of newsmakers, research features, special reports, editorials, and editorial cartoons. This rich archive provides a solid foundation for research.
- News headlines: World News Digest features up-to-the-minute coverage with news articles from Reuters®.
- Navigation by topic, decade, country, or person: World News Digest's "Browse News" tab allows for a thematic, chronological, geographical, or biographical approach to recent history and current events.
- Facts and figures researchers can trust: World News Digest offers researchers accurate, objective, and concise coverage of the most vital stories and issues.
- Information in context: In our age of information overload, World News Digest offers clear and cogent political, economic, and cultural stories that give a sense of time, place, and circumstance.
- Landmark Events: This section of World News Digest highlights crucial events per decade from 1941 to today, including the attack on Pearl Harbor, the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, the fall of the Berlin Wall, and the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
- Background and overviews: World News Digest provides crucial overviews and special features summarizing key topics to jump-start research.
- Authoritative sources: World News Digest features expertly researched and written content distilled from a multitude of carefully selected print and electronic sources to form the essential record of world events.
- 2016 Elections Guide: The one-stop source for complete campaign coverage, synthesizing in one place everything students and researchers need to know. This vital section in World News Digest provides in-depth analysis of all candidates, their positions, and all the debates and issues-perfect for assignments geared to the 2016 election, including:
- Candidates: See what all the major candidates are up to on the campaign trail.
- Debates: Examine the key moments of each debate in the nominating process and the general election.
- Primary and Caucus Contests: Review the most important contests and see the final delegate count.
- Positions on Issues: Check out where the top candidates stand on critical issues.
- Endorsements: Track the endorsements that the leading candidates have received.
- Conventions: View the major speeches at the national conventions for each of the major parties.
- Curriculum Tools: This section in World News Digest features usage and research tips for students and educators, including:
- Advice on analyzing and understanding editorial cartoons, newspaper editorials, historical documents, online sources, and more
- Tips on presenting research, including avoiding plagiarism, citing sources, summarizing articles, writing and delivering speeches, and writing research papers
- Educator tools, including advice on assessing students' speeches, exploring point of view, preventing plagiarism, and using editorial cartoons and newspaper editorials in class.
- Newspaper editorials and editorial cartoons, adding context and perspective on news events
- "Forward in Time" and "Back in Time" links for a complete chronological chain of events
- Key background information such as searchable historical documents and primary sources, country profiles, and obituaries
- Research Features and in-depth coverage guides on high-interest topics
- Objective, concise historical and current news summaries
- World Almanac® and encyclopedia content for facts, figures, and general information behind the news
- Carefully curated videos and news graphics embedded into coverage of today's latest developments
- Google Translate for more than 100 languages
- Subject-based Search Assist technology
- Dynamic citations in MLA and Chicago formats, with APA guidelines
- Read Aloud tool
- Featured Story widget
- Searchable Support Center with valuable help materials, how-to tips, tutorials, and live help chat.