The Newly Updated World News Digest Provides Context and Background to Today's News
Presenting more than seven decades of authoritative news summaries and background articles, World News Digest has been completely redesigned and upgraded with a wealth of new material and a new, dynamic interface that makes it easier than ever to explore the events that shape our world.
"In the News" features concise, clearly written news summaries that provide indispensable context and perspective on important issues and events happening right now. "Featured Stories" provides analysis of contemporary affairs, and "Hot Topics" identifies the top issues that are most shaping the world today. The new "Landmark Events" highlights key events per decade from the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941 to the unrest in the Middle East today. Also, users can now go "Forward in Time" or "Back in Time" to follow a chronological chain of coverage on numerous events, people, countries, and topics.
For more than 75 years, World News Digest has been a go-to resource for context and background on key issues and events in the news. Hundreds of institutions—including CNN, ABC News, Voice of America, the CBC, the parliaments of Canada and Australia, the U.S. State Department, the International Monetary Fund, and the United Nations—rely on World News Digest for a broader view of the issues that matter today.
- Topic-based research support: promotes understanding of a topic by combining the latest news with key context and background
- Exclusive, extensive coverage: more than 300,000 original articles from 1940 to today
- News headlines: up-to-the-minute coverage with news articles from Reuters®
- Navigation by topic, decade, country, or person: the "Browse News" tab allows for a thematic, chronological, geographical, or biographical approach to recent history and current events
- Facts and figures researchers can trust: accurate, objective, and concise coverage of the most vital stories and issues
- Information in context: political, economic, and cultural features that give a sense of time, place, and circumstance
- Landmark Events: highlights key events by decade from the 1940s to the 2010s
- Background and overviews: summaries of key topics to jump-start research
- Authoritative sources: expertly researched and written content distilled from a multitude of carefully selected print and electronic sources to form the essential record of world events
- Historical Documents: primary sources with introductory paragraphs that provide context and background—perfect for document-based learning and strengthening critical-thinking skills
- 2016 Elections Guide: in-depth analysis of all candidates, their positions, and all the debates and issues—perfect for activities and assignments geared to the 2016 election—plus all the essential coverage of every U.S. presidential election since 1940
- Curriculum Tools: usage and research tips for students and educators.
- Newspaper editorials and editorial cartoons, adding context and perspective on news events
- "Forward in Time" and "Back in Time" links for a complete chronological chain of events
- Key background information such as searchable historical documents and primary sources, country profiles, and obituaries
- Research Features and in-depth coverage guides on high-interest topics
- Objective, concise historical and current news summaries
- World Almanac® and encyclopedia content for facts, figures, and general information behind the news
- Carefully curated videos and news graphics embedded into coverage of today's latest developments
- Google Translate for more than 100 languages
- Subject-based Search Assist technology
- Dynamic citations in MLA and Chicago formats, with APA guidelines
- Read Aloud tool
- Featured Story widget
- Searchable Support Center with valuable help materials, how-to tips, tutorials, and live help chat.