About This Database
Today's Science bridges the gap between the science taught in class and real-world discoveries—giving in-depth explanations of important advances in biology, chemistry, environmental science, space, physics, and technology. Featured articles offer easy access to related content such as crossword puzzles, cartoons, and questions; additional articles that help place news and discoveries in context; and interviews with scientists that bring the research to life. An extensive backfile dating back to 1992 illustrates how one scientific advance leads to another; the stories focus on the questions scientists ask themselves and, in doing so, reinforce science educators' traditional emphasis on the scientific method.
- High-Interest Science News Articles: Today's Science contains more than 3,000 original articles, written in easy-to-understand language, highlighting the most important advances in anthropology, biology, chemistry, psychology, Earth science, environmental science, astronomy and space, physics, medicine and health, and technology. Each article includes stunning videos, images, and diagrams that give students a front-row seat in a virtual scientific amphitheater.
- Research Topic Section: Today's Science includes summaries of key topics, with links to related articles to jump-start student research.
- Conversations with Scientists: Today's Science includes engaging Q & As with over 500 of today's leading scientists across virtually every field of science. Each Q & A includes a brief introduction of the scientist, and a synopsis of his or her background, academic affiliations, and awards and achievements. The Q & A articles explore the how and why of the scientists' research as well as their perspective of the latest developments in their field. In-text links are provided to related articles, associations, and institutions.
- Glossary of Key Terms: Today's Science includes an extensive glossary of key scientific terms and principles in an A-to-Z index as well as throughout the database as in-text links.
- Editorial Cartoons & Questions: Today's Science contains thousands of editorial cartoons chosen specifically to support and illustrate scientific principles and engage students in critical thinking.
- Crossword Puzzles: Today's Science also includes hundreds of crossword puzzles to help students learn and retain key scientific terms and concepts.
- Curriculum Tools: Today's Science provides assignments and research tools for students and educators, including tips on evaluating online sources, citing sources, avoiding plagiarism, and more.
- Engaging and Informative Video News Briefs: To extend its coverage of breaking science news, Today's Science recently added hundreds of Science Video News Briefs, with more added weekly.
- Extensive Article Topic Index: Today's Science includes a full, hyperlinked list of more than 200 topics in science. Whether students are looking for the latest developments in various topic areas such as immunology, green energy, human behavior, or El Niño, Today's Science provides easy and quick access to virtually any topic in science.
- Extensive biographies, focusing on more than 2,000 scientists—from historic figures to modern-day innovators
- Article tools including print, save, email, and download to PDF
- In-text, pop-up glossary terms that can be turned on or off
- Correlated to Common Core, state, national, provincial, IB, national STEM, and Next Generation Science Standards
- Supports 1:1 initiatives, blended instruction, flipped classrooms, and project-based learning
- Read Aloud tool
- Searchable Science Encyclopedia
- Links to related encyclopedia entries
- Improved search results
- Search Assist technology
- Google Translate for 100+ languages
- Persistent record URL links
- Dynamic citations in MLA, Chicago, and APA formats
- Featured Article widget
- Searchable Support Center with valuable help materials, how-to tips, tutorials, and live help chat.