About This Database
The redesigned Today's Science bridges the gap between the science taught in class and science in the news, giving students the tools to think critically about real-world science. This powerful database gives in-depth explanations of important advances in biology, chemistry, environmental science, space, physics, and technology. Featured articles offer easy access to related content such as crossword puzzles, cartoons, and questions; additional articles that help place news and discoveries in context; and interviews with scientists that bring the research to life. An extensive backfile dating back to 1992 illustrates how one scientific advance leads to another; the stories focus on the questions scientists ask themselves and, in doing so, reinforce science educators' traditional emphasis on the scientific method.
- High-interest science news: original articles, written in easy-to-understand language, highlighting important advances in biology, chemistry, environmental science, space, physics, and technology
- Research Topics: summaries of key topics, linked to related articles to jump-start student research
- Conversations with Scientists: first-person accounts of recent breakthroughs
- Rich resources: thousands of editorial cartoons, photographs, diagrams, and crossword puzzles
- Curriculum Tools: activities, assignments, and research tools for students and educators, including tips on evaluating online sources, citing sources, avoiding plagiarism, and more
- Video News Briefs: hundreds of Science Video News Briefs, with more added weekly
- Topic Index: a full, hyperlinked list of topics.
- Extensive biographies, focusing on more than 2,000 scientists—from historic figures to modern-day innovators
- Pop-up glossary
- Science fair guide
- Correlated to Common Core, state, national, IB, national STEM, and Next Generation Science Standards
- Read Aloud tool
- Searchable Science Encyclopedia
- Links to related encyclopedia entries
- Improved search results
- Search Assist technology
- Google Translate for 80+ languages
- Ability to download text articles as PDFs
- Persistent record links
- Dynamic citations in MLA, Chicago, and APA formats
- Featured Article widget
- Searchable Support Center with valuable help materials, how-to tips, tutorials, and live help chat.