NEW DESIGN, FEATURES, AND ENHANCED CONTENT!
Place Students and Researchers at the Center of the Great Debates in American History
With Issues and Controversies in American History, history comes to life, not as a mere recitation of names and dates but as a series of turning points where the future hung in the balance and opinions raged on all sides. This accessible educational database delivers dynamic, concise, and balanced coverage that provides the background, outcome, and contemporary points of view for every major debate and conflict in American history. Articles are arranged according to the 10 major eras that conform to national history standards. In addition, all articles have been indexed to key subjects such as immigration, politics and government, race and civil rights, revolts and rebellions, economics, religion, war and military, and more.
Enhanced Articles Include an Original Video and Additional Educator Support Materials!
New to the database are special, enhanced articles, each introduced by an exciting, original three-minute video that gives essential visual context to the issues and controversy covered by the article. These enhanced articles include additional educator support material such as an overview of the topic, learning objectives, activity handouts, and self-assessment quizzes—all tools for applying the issues and debate topics to class lessons in a meaningful and contextualized way. Newer articles feature a special "What if?" section that suggests what could have happened had Americans chosen differently. This newly redesigned database is the perfect companion to Issues and Controversies and American History Online.
- Extensive coverage of key issues: articles divided into 10 major time periods, from the colonial era to the present, to correlate to history education standards
- Arguments for and against: building understanding and perspective of each issue
- New, specially created educator support material: original instructor materials such as discussion questions and academic standards correlations for all articles in the database
- Enhanced lessons: select articles that are introduced by an original short video and supplemented with additional educator support materials, such as overview of the topic, learning objectives, activity handouts, quizzes, and more
- Specially compiled primary documents: giving immediacy and authenticity
- Rich related resources: primary source documents, timelines, background articles, biographies, and more
- Special features: three rotating articles on the home page, changing monthy, highlighting featured issues, historical cartoons with discussion questions, and more
- "American Presidential Elections" feature: informative overviews of every presidential election, with voting statistics, presidential biographies, links to related topics, and more.
- Original introductory videos specially developed for selected articles—all mobile friendly
- Bibliographies and Web sites
- Searchable Encyclopedia content
- Counterfactual "What if?" sections for select articles
- Search by Common Core, state, or national standards for grades 8-12 to find correlating articles
- Improved navigation, with two new drop-down indexes
- Google Translate on every page, with 53 languages to choose from
- Read Aloud feature
- Enhanced search technologies, including Search Assist
- Persistent record links
- Dynamic citations in MLA and Chicago Manual of Style formats.