About This Database
Comprehensive Coverage of the Key Issues and Great Debates in U.S. History
With Issues & Controversies in American History, history comes to life, not as a mere recitation of names and dates but as a series of turning points where the future hung in the balance and opinions raged on all sides. This accessible educational database delivers dynamic, concise, and balanced coverage that provides the background, outcome, and contemporary points of view for every major debate and conflict in American history. All articles feature multiple primary sources, essential to understanding our nation's past. In addition, all articles have been indexed to key subjects such as immigration, politics and government, race and civil rights, religion, war and military, and more.
Special, enhanced articles are introduced by an exciting, original three-minute video that gives essential visual context to the issue and controversy covered by the article. These enhanced articles include additional educator support material such as an overview of the topic, learning objectives, activity handouts, and self-assessment quizzes—all tools for applying the issues and debate topics to class lessons in a meaningful and contextualized way. Selected articles feature a special "What if?" section that suggests what could have happened had Americans chosen differently. This award-winning database is the perfect companion to Issues & Controversies and American History Online.
- Focused Presentation: articles divided into 10 major time periods, from the precolonial era to the present, to correlate to history education standards; also searchable by subject
- Balanced Articles: Definitive, unbiased treatment providing clear pro and con arguments on hundreds of controversies in U.S. history, each amply supported by primary sources to enable students to grasp the essence and importance of every conflict and the reasons Americans debated them
- Authoritative Content: all articles written by historians and experts, based on current scholarship
- Specially Created Educator Support Material: original instructor materials such as discussion questions and academic standards correlations for all articles in the database
- Enhanced Lessons: selected articles that are introduced by an original, three-minute tablet/mobile-friendly video, with additional educator support materials that feature activities, lesson plans, and discussion questions
- Rich Related Resources: more than 1,000 primary source documents, timelines, background articles, biographies, and more
- Primary Sources: historical documents with introductory paragraphs that provide context and background to the sources—perfect for document-based learning and strengthening critical-thinking skills
- Special Features: three rotating articles on the home page, changing monthly
- American Presidential Elections Section: background and results of every U.S. presidential election since 1789, including voting statistics, biographies, and links to related topics—perfect for adding context around this year's election.
- Original introductory videos specially developed for selected articles—all mobile friendly
- Bibliographies and websites
- Background Encyclopedia content
- Counterfactual "What if?" sections for selected articles
- Correlated to Common Core, state, national, and International Baccalaureate Organization standards
- Google Translate for 100+ languages
- Ability to download text articles as PDFs
- Read Aloud feature
- Enhanced search technologies, including Search Assist
- Persistent record links
- Dynamic citations in MLA and Chicago formats, with EasyBib export functionality
- Searchable Support Center with valuable help materials, how-to tips, tutorials, and live help chat.