About This Database
More Than 500 Years of Political, Military, Social, and Cultural History—and Now Better Than Ever!
American History Online is fully revamped and now contains the complete content of the American Women's History Online and U.S. Government Online databases, substantially expanding its coverage in these key areas of American history. The new home page offers many ways to begin exploring the material, from the videos, slideshow overviews, and Topic Centers to the lists of key content handpicked by our editors to help users find a starting point for their research. By providing the most comprehensive range of information in one complete resource—subject entries, biographies, primary sources, videos and slideshows, images, timelines, and maps and graphs—American History Online offers a virtual library of American history for educators, students, and researchers of all ages. A powerful new feature is full cross-searchability across all the Infobase history databases.
- Comprehensive Coverage: images and tablet/mobile-friendly videos, slideshows, timelines, biographies of key people, event and topic entries, and maps and graphs
- Easy Access to Content: featured content handpicked by our editors to inform research and provide guided entryways into the database, plus convenient links to key areas at the top of every page
- Focused Topic Centers: specially selected entries, resources, videos, and slideshow overviews that provide a study guide for a particular era or subject
- Primary Sources: thousands of historical documents with introductory paragraphs that provide context and background to the sources—perfect for document-based learning and strengthening critical-thinking skills
- Featured Videos and Slideshows: videos and SMART Board–friendly slideshows that provide a fascinating visual look into topics
- Authoritative Source List: a complete inventory, by type, of the extraordinary amount of content in the database
- Full Cross-Searchability: allows users to tailor searches across any combination of the Infobase History Research Center databases to which your institution subscribes
- Election-Related Content: rich historical content ideal for election-related studies and lesson plans, allowing users to research past elections, political parties, key figures, and important terms through essays, primary source documents, images, videos, tables, charts, and maps that put the 2016 election into perspective.
- Universal Folder for all saved items across any Infobase History Research Center databases in your collection, plus enhanced Save-to-Folder functionality
- Search by Common Core, national, state, provincial, International Baccalaureate Organization, and College Board AP standards to find correlating articles
- Convenient A-to-Z topic lists can be filtered by Topic Center
- Tag "clouds" for all content, linking to related material
- In-depth overview essays outlining main time periods throughout history
- A detailed general timeline, updated monthly, plus numerous subject-specific and era-specific timelines
- Maps and graphs with descriptions
- Real-time, searchable Reuters® newsfeed
- Share content to Google Classroom
- Dynamic citations in MLA and Chicago styles, with EasyBib export functionality
- Read Aloud tool
- Ability for users to set preferences for default language, citation format, number of search results, and standards set for correlations
- Persistent record links
- Search Assist technology
- Searchable Support Center with valuable help materials, how-to tips, tutorials, and live help chat
- Google Translate for 100+ languages.