The Broadest Scope of Coverage in a Single Resource
Spanning more than 500 years of political, military, social, and cultural history, American History Online revolutionizes the way students and researchers can explore the different facets of American history, with a user-friendly interface and award-winning content. The authoritative, curriculum-based material is culled from many acclaimed Facts On File and Chelsea House print titles—including the landmark Encyclopedia of American History. By providing the most comprehensive range of information in one complete resource—subject entries, biographies, primary sources, images and videos, maps and charts, and timelines—American History Online offers a virtual library of American history for educators, students, and researchers of all ages.
- Complete coverage: more than 500 years of political, military, social, and cultural history
- Overview era essays: overview essays outlining main time periods in American history
- Unique Topic Centers: specially selected entries on different eras of American history to help users find a starting point for their research
- Authoritative source list: full and partial text from hundreds of print titles, including the revised edition of the award-winning Encyclopedia of American History
- Newsreel videos: videos, with a focus on World War II–era newsreel footage, giving riveting "you are there" looks at events and people.
- Events and topics
- Primary sources: more than 2,400 original documents
- General timeline, updated monthly
- Subject-specific timelines
- 15 era-specific timelines
- Images and iPad/mobile-friendly videos
- Map and chart galleries
- "Editor's Selection of the Month"
- "Focus on History through Video" feature with video gallery
- "Did You Mean...?" search feature
- Persistent record links
- Examples of full citations in MLA, CMS, and APA styles.