About This Database
A Powerful Source for Reliable, Detailed Information on Today's Most Important Health Topics
Your first stop for current, important health information is now better than ever! The critically acclaimed Health Reference Center has been redesigned and upgraded with a wealth of essential new content and a new, more intuitive design that better facilitates research. Thirty-five Topic Centers highlight specially selected content to help users find a starting point for their studies, and numerous videos and collections of illustrations make it easy to find relevant visual media on the most frequently researched topics. New features and tools—including Read Aloud, Google Translate, and tag “clouds” for all content, to name a few—provide added functionality and accessibility.
- Comprehensive coverage: Health Reference Center includes a wealth of articles, videos, and illustrations on diseases and timely health topics organized with an intuitive design that brings key content to the forefront.
- Editorially curated Topic Centers: Health Reference Center features specially selected content on key areas of health (including teen’s health, women’s health, men’s health, children’s health, and senior health), specific types of diseases and disorders (including autism spectrum disorders, cancer, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, infectious diseases, learning disabilities, neurological disorders, and obesity), and other reference topics. These comprehensive Topic Centers provide valuable study guides and entry points into the database.
- Journal and reference articles: In Health Reference Center, students can find more than 100,000 articles from acclaimed, high-level sources, including thousands of scholarly journal articles from PubMed Central and reference articles from MedlinePlus covering more than 950 diseases and conditions.
- Daily health news videos: Health Reference Center includes a “Today’s Health” section featuring a new health news video each day from HealthDay TV to help users stay on top of the latest information.
- Videos and illustrations: Health Reference Center contains more than 4,200 informational video clips and more than 1,200 searchable color illustrations, many organized into convenient collections.
- Authoritative source list: Health Reference Center includes expertly researched and written content from acclaimed sources, including a wealth of proprietary titles—information researchers can trust.
- Curriculum Tools: This section of Health Reference Center features usage and research tips for students and educators, including:
- Tips for students on topics including citing sources, evaluating online sources, research topics, avoiding plagiarism, and writing research papers.
- Educator tools, including advice on preventing plagiarism and an essay on the importance of health education in preventing disease.
- In-depth Suggested Reading articles, giving extensive background on relevant topics
- Detailed information on healthy lifestyle choices, recognizing diseases, and seeking treatment
- Search by Common Core, state, national, provincial, International Baccalaureate Organization, College Board AP, national STEM, and Next Generation Science Standards to find correlating articles
- Convenient A-to-Z topic lists
- Tag “clouds” for all content, linking to related material
- Search Assist technology
- BMI calculator
- Conversion calculator
- Listing of various hotlines
- Real-time, searchable Reuters® newsfeed
- Read Aloud tool
- Google Translate for 100+ languages
- Share content to Google Classroom
- Save content directly to Google Drive
- Google Sign-In allows users to easily access content with their Google credentials
- Ability for users to set preferences for default language, citation format, and number of search results
- Dynamic citations in MLA, APA, Chicago, and Harvard formats, with EasyBib export functionality
- Persistent record links
- Searchable Support Center with valuable help materials, how-to tips, tutorials, and live help chat.