About This Database
An Exploration of World History, from Prehistory through the 1500s
Ancient and Medieval History Online provides thorough coverage of world history from prehistory through the 1500s, with special Topic Centers on key civilizations and regions, including the ancient Near East, Egypt, Greece, and Rome; ancient and medieval Africa, Asia, and the Americas; and medieval Europe and the Islamic World. Each civilization's history is brought to life through tablet/mobile-friendly videos and slideshows, primary sources, maps and graphs, timelines, suggested readings, and suggested search terms. All the Infobase history databases in a collection are fully cross-searchable.
- Comprehensive Coverage: With Ancient and Medieval History Online, students can delve deep into their topics or examine different perspectives through event and topic entries, slideshows, primary sources, images, tablet/mobile-friendly videos, general and topic-specific timelines, biographies of key people, original maps and charts, and more.
- Easy Access to Content: Featured content in Ancient and Medieval History Online is handpicked by our editors to inform research and provide guided entryways into the database, plus convenient links to key areas are at the top of every page.
- Focused Topic Centers: Ancient and Medieval History Online features specially selected content—including articles, sharable slideshows, videos, primary sources, and more—that provides a study guide for a particular civilization. Topic Centers include Ancient and Medieval Africa, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Near East, Ancient Greece, Ancient and Medieval Asia, The Americas, Ancient Rome, Medieval Europe, and Islamic World.
- Primary Sources: Ancient and Medieval History Online includes thousands of historical documents with introductory paragraphs that provide context and background to the sources—perfect for document-based learning and strengthening critical-thinking skills.
- Featured Videos and Slideshows:Ancient and Medieval History Online's videos and original, SMART Board–friendly slideshows provide a fascinating visual look into topics, reinforcing visual learning, stimulating interest, and providing convenient overviews and discussion starter material.
- Book Chapters: Chapters from authoritative print titles written by noted historians complement the thousands of biographies, definitions, and other resources Ancient and Medieval History Online provides. Book Chapters allow for original thinking and are ideal for an in-depth study of a topic.
- Authoritative Source List: Ancient and Medieval History Online features a complete inventory, by type, of the extraordinary amount of content in the database, including books, primary sources, images, videos, and timelines.
- Full Cross-Searchability: Ancient and Medieval History Online is fully cross-searchable with any combination of the other Infobase History Research Center databases to which your institution subscribes.
- Universal Folder for all saved items across any Infobase History Research Center databases in your collection, plus enhanced Save-to-Folder functionality
- Search by Common Core, national, state, provincial, International Baccalaureate Organization, and College Board AP standards to find correlating articles
- Convenient A-to-Z topic lists that can be filtered by Topic Center
- Tag "clouds" for all content, linking to related material
- In-depth overview essays on relevant historical topics under Suggested Reading
- A detailed general timeline, updated monthly, plus civilization-specific timelines
- Maps and graphs with descriptions
- Real-time, searchable Reuters® newsfeed
- Share content to Google Classroom
- Download content directly to Google Drive
- Google Sign-In allows users to easily access content with their Google credentials
- Dynamic citations in MLA, Chicago, and Harvard formats, with EasyBib export functionality
- Read Aloud tool
- Ability for users to set preferences for default language, citation format, number of search results, and standards set for correlations
- Persistent record links
- Search Assist technology
- Searchable Support Center with valuable help materials, how-to tips, tutorials, and live help chat
- Google Translate for 100+ languages.