About This Database
An Exploration of World History, from Prehistory through the 1500s
Ancient and Medieval History: Pre-1500 provides thorough coverage of world history from prehistory through the 1500s, with special Topic Centers on key civilizations and regions, including the ancient Near East, Egypt, Greece, and Rome; ancient and medieval Africa, Asia, and the Americas; and medieval Europe and the Islamic World. Each civilization's history is brought to life through tablet/mobile-friendly videos and slideshows, primary sources, maps and graphs, timelines, suggested readings, and suggested search terms. All the Infobase history databases in a collection are fully cross-searchable.
- Comprehensive Coverage: With Ancient and Medieval History: Pre-1500, students can delve deep into their topics or examine different perspectives through event and topic entries, slideshows, primary sources, images, tablet/mobile-friendly videos, general and topic-specific timelines, biographies of key people, original maps and charts, and more.
- Easy Access to Content: Featured content in Ancient and Medieval History: Pre-1500 is handpicked by our editors to inform research and provide guided entryways into the database, plus convenient links to key areas are at the top of every page.
- Focused Topic Centers: Ancient and Medieval History: Pre-1500 features specially selected content—including articles, sharable slideshows, videos, primary sources, and more—that provides a study guide for a particular civilization. Topic Centers include Ancient and Medieval Africa, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Near East, Ancient Greece, Ancient and Medieval Asia, The Americas, Ancient Rome, Medieval Europe, and Islamic World.
- Primary Sources: Ancient and Medieval History: Pre-1500 includes thousands of historical documents with introductory paragraphs that provide context and background to the sources—perfect for document-based learning and strengthening critical-thinking skills.
- Featured Videos and Slideshows: Ancient and Medieval History: Pre-1500's videos and original, SMART Board–friendly slideshows provide a fascinating visual look into topics, reinforcing visual learning, stimulating interest, and providing convenient overviews and discussion starter material.
- Book Chapters: Chapters from authoritative print titles written by noted historians complement the thousands of biographies, definitions, and other resources Ancient and Medieval History: Pre-1500 provides. Book Chapters allow for original thinking and are ideal for an in-depth study of a topic.
- Authoritative Source List: Ancient and Medieval History: Pre-1500 features a complete inventory, by type, of the extraordinary amount of content in the database, including books, primary sources, images, videos, and timelines.
- Full Cross-Searchability: Ancient and Medieval History: Pre-1500 is fully cross-searchable with any combination of the other Infobase History Research Center databases to which your institution subscribes.
- Universal Folder for all saved items across any Infobase History Research Center databases in your collection, plus enhanced Save-to-Folder functionality
- Search by Common Core, national, state, provincial, International Baccalaureate Organization, and College Board AP standards to find correlating articles
- Convenient A-to-Z topic lists that can be filtered by Topic Center
- Tag "clouds" for all content, linking to related material
- In-depth overview essays on relevant historical topics under Suggested Reading
- A detailed general timeline, updated monthly, plus civilization-specific timelines
- Maps and graphs with descriptions
- Real-time, searchable Reuters® newsfeed
- Share content to Google Classroom
- Download content directly to Google Drive
- Google Sign-In allows users to easily access content with their Google credentials
- Dynamic citations in MLA, Chicago, and Harvard formats, with EasyBib export functionality
- Read Aloud tool
- Ability for users to set preferences for default language, citation format, number of search results, and standards set for correlations
- Persistent record links
- Search Assist technology
- Searchable Support Center with valuable help materials, how-to tips, tutorials, and live help chat
- Google Translate for 100+ languages.