About This Database
The Definitive Source for Literary Criticism from Harold Bloom
Bloom's Literary Reference Online features content from Facts On File's extensive print literature collection, hundreds of Harold Bloom's essays examining the lives and works of great writers throughout history and the world, and thousands of critical articles published by noted scholars under the Bloom's Literary Criticism imprint. This accessible database also contains an archive of more than 46,000 characters; extensive entries on literary topics, themes, movements, genres, and authors; almost 200 video clips; and more. Handy browse and search features include in-text links, record links, and numerous options for further research. Entries can be browsed by time period within American, British, and world literature; by author type; by literary genre; by nationality; by an A-to-Z list; and by subject for images and videos. Author biographies link to a list of major works, and works are linked to a list of principal characters.
- Full length videos of classic plays: streaming video of dozens of famous productions, including Hamlet (starring Kevin Kline), The Glass Menagerie (starring Katharine Hepburn), and many more
- Complete coverage: essays and criticism examining the lives of great authors and their works throughout history
- Bloom's How to Write about: specific advice on how to write good essays on popularly assigned authors
- Works: overviews, synopses, analyses, and literary criticism of thousands of works
- Authors: a wealth of content on the finest contemporary and classic writers from around the world
- Literary criticism: critical essays pulled from Facts On File's extensive print literature collection, Harold Bloom's acclaimed essays, and critical articles from the Bloom's imprint
- Topics and themes: in-depth, full-text entries on literary movements, literary groups, magazines and newspapers, and historical events that help place literature in context
- Characters: information on more than 46,000 major and minor literary characters
- Authoritative source list: more than 1,600 scholarly and critical books, more than 700 books from Infobase Learning, and more than 500 peer-reviewed journals and other periodicals.
- Image and video galleries
- Harold Bloom's Canon of Literature: Professor Bloom's selections of the major works of Western literature
- Content supporting Common Core, state, and national standards
- "Did You Mean...?" search feature
- Persistent record links
- Examples of full citations in MLA, Chicago Manual of Style, and APA styles.