Praise for the previous edition:
"...carefully organized and thoroughly researched...this book sets the standard for quotation books of any kind."—Booklist
"This fine work is highly recommended for all libraries."—Choice
"...fun reading and very educational. This book should be used as required reading for courses in women's studies."—Midwest Book Review
The Quotable Woman, Revised Edition gathers nearly 20,000 great quotations from more than 5,000 women throughout history, beginning with Eve and continuing to the present day. Thoroughly revised and updated, this book is a treasure trove of both familiar and unexpected quotations on nearly every subject imaginable, including friendship, love, politics, religion, education, the arts, and women's role in society. Contributors are presented in chronological order by the year of their birth, then alphabetically within each year. Indexes allow readers to find quotations by subject and contributors by name, occupation/profession, and nationality/ethnicity.
This updated and expanded edition features:
- More than 4,000 additional quotations
- More than 1,350 new contributors
- Many new quotations from contemporary women, such as Angelina Jolie, Elena Kagan, Rachel Maddow, Zadie Smith, Oprah Winfrey, and others
- Many more quotations from women in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East.
- "A woman is like a teabag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water."—Nancy Pelosi
- "Men their rights and nothing more; women their rights and nothing less."—Susan B. Anthony
- "My only concern was to go get home after a hard day's work."—Rosa Parks
- "When men start to become the fathers they wished they had, it's a real change."—Gloria Steinem
- "Indeed, she had seen enough of the world to know that in few people is discretion stronger than the desire to tell a good story."—Murasaki Shikibu
- and more.