A Brief History of Great Britain narrates the history of Great Britain from the earliest times to the 21st century, covering the entire island—England, Wales, and Scotland—as well as associated archipelagos such as the Channel Islands, the Orkneys, and Ireland as they have influenced British history. The central story of this volume is the development of the British kingdom, including its rise and decline on the world stage. The book is built around a clear chronological political narrative while incorporating treatment of social, economic, and religious issues.
- Early Settlements, Celts, and Romans
- Anglo-Saxons, Scots, and Vikings
- Scotland, England, and Wales
- Britain in the Late Middle Ages
- The Making of Protestant Britain
- Industry and Conquest
- Britain in the Age of Empire
- An Age of Crisis
- The Age of Consensus
- A House Divided.