Praise for the previous edition:
"...a good ready reference source..."Booklist
Allergies are a pervasive medical condition affecting more than 20 percent of Americanswith symptoms ranging from the mild discomfort of a runny nose and watery eyes, to the sometimes fatal shock of a bee sting. Written by two experts in the field, The Encyclopedia of Allergies, Second Edition includes more than 1,000 entries that provide invaluable information on every aspect of this condition. Coverage includes allergens, symptoms and treatments, inherited allergies, occupationally and environmentally induced allergies, asthma, statistics, food allergies, allergy researchers, AIDS and allergies, antihistamines, and more.
The revised edition features:
- Information on new and existing medications
- Alternative therapies and treatment for allergies
- Allergies to herbal supplements and alternative therapies
- Allergies to new medical treatments, such as soy supplements now being used for symptoms of menopause
- Additional information on toxic plants, such as oleander and crocus
- Solutions for latex allergies
- Updated statistics on major North American pollen areas
- Available allergy tests
- Updated listings for professional organizations, lay organizations, and support groups
- Asthma camps.