Praise for the previous edition:
"This reference work is easy to use, packed with details, and highly readable. Both public and academic libraries should find this title a strong addition to their reference collection and some may want to add a circulating copy as well."Booklist
"An absolute goldmine for Hemingway aficionados that is long overdue. Highly recommended."Library Journal
Critical Companion to Ernest Hemingway is an encyclopedic guide to the life and works of this great American writer. This book contains all the text of the acclaimed Ernest Hemingway A to Z, reorganized into a student-friendly format. Material new to this edition includes critical commentary on all of Hemingway's novels and major short stories, further reading lists, an expanded biography, and new illustrations.
This volume features entries on all of Hemingway's major and minor works, places and events related to his works, major figures in his life, and more. Appendixes include a complete list of Hemingway's works; a chronology; a genealogy; a unique map for readers of Islands in the Stream; a list of film, stage, and radio adaptations; and a bibliography of secondary sources.
- An expanded biography of Hemingway
- Entries on all of Hemingway's works, major and minor
- Detailed synopses and critical commentary on his major novels, non-fiction works, and short stories
- Descriptions of major characters
- Discussions of important people in Hemingway's life
- Analyses of the culture, times, and places in which Hemingway lived and wrote
- Helpful bibliographies and a chronology of Hemingway's life.