A to Z of American Women in the Performing Arts is an engaging resource that provides readers with insightful biographies of select women in the performing arts from the 19th century to the present. Regionally, chronologically, and culturally inclusive, this volume includes 150 entries profiling film, stage, and television actresses; dancers; musicians; opera stars; and performance artists. In addition to providing basic biographical information, each entry also emphasizes the woman's achievements and contributions as an artist. Suggestions for further reading, and in some cases, viewing and listening, along with a bibliography, subject indexes organized by area of achievement and birth date, and a general index will stimulate further research
on the performing arts or women's history.
- Marian Anderson: singer
- Lucille Ball: actress
- Maria Callas: singer
- Cyd Charisse: dancer, actress
- Dorothy Dandridge: actress, singer
- Karen Finley: performance artist
- Jodie Foster: actress, director
- Lillian Gish: actress, director
- Billie Holiday: singer
- Judith Jamison: dancer, choreographer
- Ethel Leginska: musician, composer
- Madonna: singer, actress, dancer, songwriter
- Maria Tallchief: dancer
- Anna Mae Wong: actress.