Mastering the art of writing is one of the most important, yet most challenging tasks for many people. Without proper writing skills, completing the easiest assignment can quickly become an insurmountable problem. From English to business to economics, writing is an essential skill for nearly every subject and career.
Offering clear, straightforward guidance, The Facts On File Guide to Good Writing outlines the basics of writing for anyone looking to improve writing skills or knowledge of the English language.
From grammar and its correct usage to the process of drafting and editing a variety of written communications, this guide is an essential tool for anyone who uses the English language.
- Preparing to write: thinking, researching, and planning
- Writing your document: finding a voice and composing paragraphs
- Revising your document: editing, proofreading, and checking for consistency
- Grammar: parts of speech, phrases, and sentences
- Words in use: vocabulary, spelling, sensitive terms, and slang
- Words often confused: misspelled or misused words
- Punctuation: capital letters, commas, periods, and more
- Reference resources: dictionaries, thesauruses, and other sources.
About the Author(s)
Martin H. Manser is a reference book writer and editor based in England. He is the author of The Facts On File Dictionary of Classical and Biblical Allusions, The Facts On File Dictionary of Foreign Words and Phrases, and The Facts On File Dictionary of Proverbs. His other books include the Zondervan Dictionary of Bible Themes, Macmillan Dictionary of the Bible, and Learner's Dictionary of English Idiom.