The full-color Costume Around the World set for younger readers takes a look at the way people dress in different countries throughout the world for daily life, celebrations, and other occasions.
Each title covers:
Colorful photographs show readers how the costumes are worn in social or cultural contexts. Engaging sidebars highlight topics of interest, such as the meaning of the icons in traditional Chinese costume, Indian influence on Western fashion in the 1960s, costumes from Japan’s Noh theater, kente cloth in African costumes, the status indicators of Mayan dress in Mexico, and more. Each title also features a glossary, further information, and an index.
- How climate, geography, and local resources affect clothes
- The influence of religion, tradition, and culture on costume
- Materials and textiles used in costume making
- Ceremonial and special-occasion clothes
- A history of costume in that country
- International influence on style and fashion
- Accessories to complete the outfit.
Full-color photographs and illustrations. Index. Glossary. Sidebars. Further resources.